Even when pills are prescribed by your doctor and available at a pharmacy, that doesn’t mean that they are any less addictive than illegal substances in certain cases. As prescription numbers rise, so too do cases of prescription drug addiction and a dependency on these types of substances presents its own unique set of challenges.
Commonly abused prescription drugs include opiates like codeine, methadone, tramadol, morphine and oxycodone (sold as OxyContin) that are prescribed for pain relief. Other abused precription drugs include:
- Over the counter drugs, such as Solpadeine
- Sleeping pills, like Zopiclone
- Benzodiazepines, like Valium, which are used to treat anxiety disorders
- Other types of painkillers
Call back request
Signs and side effects of a prescription drug addiction
A physical dependence on prescription drugs, such as becoming addicted to painkillers, can arise from regular and prolonged use. Unfortunately it is also possible for a psychological dependence to form, particularly when the drug is used as a coping strategy to combat anxiety. An awareness that excessive and continued use of a drug can in some cases increase anxiety, causing a vicious cycle of addiction.
Prescription drug addiction treatment
There are no quick fixes or one size fits all solutions for treating prescription drug addiction. Recovery is possible though and we have witnessed it time and time again. People in the depths of despair have sought our help and gone on to reclaim control of their lives. Whether it be private rehab, or specialist addiction counsellors, there are many ways to get help and Port of Call can assist you with all of them.
What happens when I call Port of Call?
- You will speak in confidence to someone who will listen to what’s happening in your life.
- Your situation will be explored fully and appropriate treatment options and support will be given.
- You will speak to someone who understands addiction, someone who is in active recovery and someone who is able to provide you with un-biased and impartial information and advice.